So, to kick off this new direction of my blog I am going to blog about what I made for dinner tonight: Potato Tacos! I found this recipe that the lovely Danielle posted on her blog which can be found here. I'm going to write my own recipe because I did not follow hers exactly. For meals like this it is very easy to create it to what fits your own tastes which is why don't have amounts for the seasoning.
What you will need:
- 4 red potatoes (she suggests 2 medium potatos, but I wanted more potatoes for later meals)
- 1 Vidalia onion (she didn't give a type of onion, so that is what I bought)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- red pepper flakes
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- Chili powder (my addition)
- Hint of lime tortilla chips (If you use traditional taco shells make sure you add salt to the mixture)
- fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Mexican-style cheese
- Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
1. Chop potatoes (peel first!), green pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Add to a large bowl (make sure it's large! The entire recipe together makes a lot).
2. Drain black beans and corn then add them to the mixture. Add package of taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Add as much as you want. I like spicy foods so I added a lot.
3. In a frying pan add a little oil and the ingredients in the bowl (without the bowl, of course!) Cook on medium until the potatoes are cooked (they'll be brownish with a crisp). I think it took me like 10 minutes.
4. Prepare your toppings! I cut of the tomatoes into small chunks. I cut the lemon into 4's. I chopped up the cilantro and put it in a separate bowl. I may have cut too much up, but I love cilantro. The Greek yogurt is a great and delicious substitute for sour cream (Yes, I was hesitant at first too). Finally, put out your cheese and chips.
5. Ta da! You're done! Now that was simple and delicious!
6. Make sure to invite friends over! I invited my friend, Katy. Here is her loving it!
I would say that this recipe makes about enough for 4 people (and these 4 people can have seconds), but it all depends on how much they eat. I know I'll be enjoying this for the next few days.