What you will need:
- 1/2 cup (8 tbs.) butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon zest or more (I forgot this and it was still tasty)
- 7/8 cup sugar + 1 tbs. sugar (1 tbs. will be used at the end!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat over to 350F. Cream butter, lemon zest, and 7/8 sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl mix the 2 cups of blueberries and 1/4 cup of flour together (to prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom).
4. In another bowl whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time while alternating with the buttermilk -- This is when it's good to have friends with you in the kitchen! :) ). Fold in the blueberries.
6. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or similar) with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
7. Bake for 35 minutes. (We baked ours for 45 because it wasn't finished at 35. You may need to bake for additional time as well!)
The verdict? It was amazing! We definitely ate too much because we couldn't stop. It's even good cold. We took it back out later in the evening and started eating small pieces with a knife. I want to try it with ice cream some time. I'm such a fatty, but whatever I don't have anyone to impress! Haha. If you try this recipe out let me know what you think!